Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hollywood....leave my entertainment alone

 Popcorn bowl



My family does not have cable at our house. As a result we have a large movie/show collection (we like to watch shows as a family). Most of the movies we have are what you could call kids/children's, movies from Pixar,DreamWorks, Disney. We also have DVDs of Dora the explorer, go Diego go, Backyardagains, Blues Clues. If you count movies like Harry Potter and Star Wars as kids movies the add those to the list as well.


Recently I bought Avatar and Star trek. Both of these are really great movies with one big exception....wait for it.... A sex/bed scene. Obviously the directors thought this act would add to the movie in some way, whether it was for a tender moment, i.e. Avatar, or for a funny interaction between characters, i.e. Star Trek. This does not  add to the enjoyment of the show.  The only things this does for my family is cause mom and dad to pay close attention to where the offense is and skip that section, (my kids love Avatar, (they hate when we have to skip something even when they have no idea why), I like Star Trek minus the aforementioned scene).


I have a show that I like, (I watch it on hulu.com), called Stargate Universe. It's about a group of scientist and military personnel that are forced to evacuate a crumbling planet through a stargate. By change of the address on the star gate they end up on a ancient space ship, (Destiny), that is flying through the universe billions of light years from earth. Sound interesting so far.

About every three episodes or so the makers of this unique show find it necessary to introduce a "Bed Scene", (not long of course, (does it need to be long), or show what some characters sexuel preference is, (don't know don't care), to mix up the "emotions" of the show. It disturbs me... I would rather they just get on exploring planets or fixing the ship or fighting random aliens. I don't need to see what happens in bed rooms, (I’m married…I know). The last episode was great; Strategy, tension, and a little helping of true friendship!!!

This pattern of "adding to the emotions" of the show happens in a lot of TV shows with increasing .... With movies and TV shows it just dampens the enjoy ability` of what I am watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment